freeline-29 - Page 154

Brogborough 2007
safe in the net, got my rig back on the
spot and ran round to Kev who was in
the Pads swim. We weighed the carp,
took the pics, and just as I put it back,
I got another run. Kev shouted, “Hit it”
and after a ten-minute battle I had a
hook pull on what looked like a mid20. Gutted, but still ecstatic about the
big common I’d had.
Five months later I was still carrying on trying to catch one of the bigger residents. I felt open water was
the way forward coming up to
autumn, but nothing… strange…
although I did have a PB 18lb bream
from a clay hump of 7ft in 15ft of
water at 30 yards range over 5kg of
So after nailing another unknown
30lb carp from a new water, I headed
straight to Longreach again, another
unknown water really at over 50
acres. It’s very long and oblong
shaped, again with a low stock of 30
carp. I was told by Terry who ran the
local tackle shop back then that
there’s a surprise or two in there,
Marc. “Well that’ll do for me, Terry,” I
said, as my target was a 30lb carp.
There were speed boats on there
from 7am some mornings to 6pm at
night, so everything I started to get
established on close-in shelves was
getting washed up – a nightmare. I’d
fish open water on the many gravel
bars and spod particle and boilie on
them but got plagued with bream. I
was walking and watching, climbing
trees and trying to get something
going regarding spots. There were a
few more anglers on here at the time
than Scout lake and rumour of a 50lb
mirror! So again it was hard work
driving down to an unknown water
on a Friday night after a hard week on
Great to see em go back home!
a driveway or on a roof, as I was in the
building trade as a family business
and doing the paperwork too.
The same tactics as Scout Lake
weren’t working at all. There were
massive beds of bloodworm, but I
never got a pick-up off them. Again it
had me thinking and ringing those
changes, but having to wait till 7pm
before I could present my two baited
rigs on clear spots under snags etc
just for 12 hours, as the speed boats
were back on causing mayhem, but I
had to deal with it. One day I walked
out with my chesties on up to my
waist and stood there. It was a patrol
route and it felt pukka, so I just played
the waiting game to see if they really
did patrol this margin, and more
importantly, what time of the day! At
3pm, with boats still going around
and water skiers falling off etc, it
didn’t put the carp off as three great
looking commons came right over my
feet. Amazing to watch and I didn’t
spook them at all. My heart stopped,
but I had the biggest smile on my face
as location is everything on these
kinds of waters. I’d rather be 12 hours
in the right place than 12 days in the
wrong place.
I waited until 7pm again and
placed some crushed tiger, hemp and
maple peas onto a spot on the edge of
the Canadian pondweed and slackened right off with the rod tips well
back on the bank again. Everything
just had to be right, but the following
morning – nothing! I wondered if they
had done a whole circuit and would
be coming back from the right again,
so I did the same again, but this time
left some bait to stop them in their
tracks! The same carp, but only two
this time, came swimming by a little
later, but around the same time. One
stopped and waved its pecs over the
bait, trying to waft it up. The water
was gin clear and I could see everything, but it moved on – it had sussed
As I stood there thinking, I looked
to my right and a small mirror was
mouthing underwater snags, munching the zebra mussels and snails on
the tree trunk! Boom – the penny
dropped – these carp, like Scout Lake
carp, were on naturals... So I grabbed
a load of snails and mussels off the
snags and added minamino to them
for a few hours, apart from one. I
drilled a hole in its shell, dried it off
and added a small white dot of Tipex,
as I still had my briefcase with me
from work. This would make my
hookbait stand out, although still
keeping it 100% natural. I threaded a
12mm snail onto my blowback rig; a
rig I’ve used for years and had total
confidence in, and placed it onto the
same spot along with two handfuls of
real mussels and snails, but still with
a little hemp and a few crushed
That time came when I was sat
watching the water but excited,
knowing I’d got the trick and just
hoping they would come back. A 30lb
common was my target. The following morning I had a few liners, but I
sat on my hands. I was really slack
lined, but still had three hours of liners. I then watched my bobbin pull
right up to my rod and my spool
began to spin! Fish on... Nerves
kicked in and legs went like jelly, and
after a savage fight I landed a stunning 33lb 8oz common from the
‘Reach! Yes!! Job done!
In eight months I’d hit two very
hard, low-stocked pits and landed
two 30s – my targets accomplished...
I t ’s a g r e a t f e e l i n g c a t c h i n g a n
unknown that’s probably never been
caught, or if it has been, it’s been kept
very quiet, so as you can imagine the
smile on my face was huge.
So from there I headed to Swarkstone for the winter – 75 acres with a
stock of 25 carp – another headbanger. But what I will say is, guys,
never give up – keep your eye on
spots, snags etc, keep spots baited all
day and night, but at the end of the
day, location is everything… and not
just keep it real, but keep it natural.
Until next time, be lucky! n

Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen