freeline-30 - Page 139

In Search of a Lincolnshire 40
(Above) Little Barrel Common.
(Below) Big Scaly in the net.
net, mate.” After the usual well dones,
I told him to get it weighed and ring
me back. A return call confirmed it,
and at a weight of 40lb 6oz. I got off
the phone and just chucked my
phone at the bed hard whilst blurting
out obscenities. This was nothing
against Adam and unusual behaviour
for me. I think by this stage I had a lot
on my plate at home, and I was on a
deadline to try and meet the big common for a second time. My girlfriend
had been given a date of 14th June for
her second of three operations, plus
my ticket ran out on the 16th June,
and I was hoping not to renew it. To
be honest Adam had earned his capture, as he had been plugging away
hard for it since February. If I could
take anything away from it, it was at
least I had got the swim choice correct.
All this left me with a decision to
make: did I pull off for a couple of
weeks, or stick with the game plan? I
decided on the latter and went down
the following night to bait up, as at
the end of the day there were still others worth catching. I got down Friday
evening that week for 48 hours and it
was a scorcher. When the weather is
like this, I always check the first little
snaggy corner on my way in. On this
occasion there were five or six different fish drifting in and out. The
biggest fish there was the Cut Tail
Common that was looking 30-plus.
Having had the biggest fish there, I
wasn’t about to stray from my plans
unless my target fish were present. I
dropped in a few baits and left them
to it. Afterwards I went round to my
baited area and got set for action. All
went smoothly; the only worry was
my left rod went over a shallow hump
covered in weed that reached the surface. I went to bed that night confident in the new spot and happy I
could do no more.
After being up early in the morning
to watch the water, I was just about
to get back into bed when the left rod
let out a single beep. With my eyes
fixed on the rod, the bobbin, which
was underwater, just slammed into
the buzzer and the Neville went into
overdrive. When I hit into it, I got flatrodded for about another 20 yards,
but from there I was in full control. My
next worry then was the shallow
hump covered in weed. Just as it was
nearing the weed it hit the surface
and I could see from the bright orange
colour that it was the River Fish. I
could also see it had dumped the lead
so it stayed high and I just brought it
straight over the weed. In the process
its eyes had got covered in weed and
it went in the net first time without
knowing what was going on. (Pic3).
On the scales it went 28lb 8oz and I
was pleased to be back in the action.
The River Fish looked awesome on
the bank, but the pictures just don’t
do her justice – a gorgeous fish and
one I really wanted.
The following morning brought
nothing, so at about 10am I reeled in,
and being as it was a nice day I had a
walk to the snags to see if there were
any fish there. When I took a look I
could see a couple of smaller fish; one
being the dumpy mirror I’d had the
previous year and a barrel shaped
common that looked a scraper 20.
Being as I had no plans for the day, I
thought I’d stay and have a go for
them. I rang my girlfriend and told her
I was staying and she said she would
come down for the day. I got round to
the new swim where I waded a couple of baits out. I placed one to the
snag and one in the corner by a raft of
weed I had seen fish under in the
past. I set the rod at 90 degrees to the
snags, extreme quiver tip style, and

Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook system
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen