Gloucestershire Brochure Final(7) - Flipbook - Page 11
Colonel Gibson was given a Warrant by
King William in 1694 to raise a regiment
of Foot, who became Gibson's Regiment.
As Colonel's changed so the name
of each regiment changed until they
became Bragg's Regiment. Numbering
was then introduced, Bragg's becoming
the 28th Foot.
The 28th first saw action under the Duke
of Marlborough at Ramilles in 1706.
During the American War of
Independence, in 1776, the 28th fought at
White Plains near New York and acquired
the nickname 'The Slashers'.
In 1782 'North Gloucestershire' was
added to the title of the 28th. Ever since
there has been a continuous regimental
link to the County.
The Back Badge is worn on certain Rifles
headdress and reads 'Egypt'. It marks the
famous fight, back to back, by the 28th of
Foot at the Battle of Alexandria in 1801.
During reforms in 1881 the 28th (North
Gloucestershire) Regiment and the
61st (South Gloucestershire) Regiment
amalgamated to form the 1st and
2nd Battalion of the Gloucestershire
1st and 10th Glosters fought at Loos in
September/October 1915. 10th Glosters
broke through three German lines on the
first day in a display of singular gallantry.
At Festubert in 1918, a part of the Battle
of Bethune, 1st Glosters won 25 Military
Medals the most awarded to a single
battalion in a single day.
The War Poets, F W Harvey and Ivor
Gurney both served in the Glosters
in WW1; both survived. Stained glass
tributes can be found respectively at
St Peter's Minsterworth and St Mary de
In 1938, 6th Glosters converted into 44th
Royal Tank Regiment. They served in
North Africa, Sicily and Italy.
In 1940 during the Retreat to Dunkirk,
2nd Glosters protected the evacuation
by holding Cassel. Almost the whole
Battalion were taken prisoner. 5th
Glosters managed to withdraw, were
reformed in UK and became 43rd
Reconnaissance Regiment. After landing
in Normandy they fought throughout the
NW Europe campaign. 2nd Glosters also
reformed, after Dunkirk, and landed in
Normandy, on D Day.
When the Japanese invaded Burma
in 1942, 1st Glosters were stationed in
Rangoon. They fought throughout the
Retreat and on reaching India, remained
there for the remainder of the war.
10th Glosters landed in Burma in 1944
and fought there until the Japanese
Gloucester Cathedral's Memorial Chapel
has stained glass depicting scenes from
the Battle of the Imjin River, Korea 1951.
The glass is dedicated to Major Pat
Angier MC. The Cathedral is also home
to the Carne Cross, carved from stone by
the Commanding Officer while a Prisoner
In 1994 The Gloucestershire Regiment
and the Duke of Edinburgh's Royal
Regiment amalgamated to form the Royal
Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire
REGIMENTAL HEADQUARTERS THE RIFLES
Peninsula Barracks, Romsey Road,
WINCHESTER, SO23 8TS
01962 828 527 | firstname.lastname@example.org
North (Pontefract) | 01977 703 181 |
Midlands (Shrewsbury) | 01743 842 030 |
London (Kensington) | 0207 414 5441 |
South (Winchester) | 01962 828 501 |
West (Taunton) | 01823 333 434 | taunton@
South West (Exeter) | 01392 492 435 |
Regular & Reserve Officer |
Regular & Reserve Soldier |
ARMY CADET FORCE
THE RIFLEMAN'S ASSOCIATION:
SWIFT - www.theriflesnetwork.co.uk |
FORMING & ANTECEDENT REGIMENTAL
Forest of Dean
The Rifles Regimental Museum | www.
Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum |