ar2020 7x10 gwh pages 09 - Flipbook - Page 8
75 Years In Houston
History of Service
2020 marked Goodwill Houston’s 75th year of serving our community. In
1945, Goodwill Houston was established through the vision and inspiration of
W.C.Morris, Sr. and the Rotary Club of Houston. Headed by Executive Director
Dorothy Rice Ewell, Goodwill Houston opened its barrier-free doors at 201 San
Jacinto Street (where the Court of Family Law building now stands).
In 1965, under the leadership of Bill Lufburrow, Goodwill Houston became a
leading not-for-profit in the community and throughout the country. Bill was
a visionary who created many new programs and services to provide help to
those in need. In 1986, with more than twenty years of service as CEO, Bill
Lufburrow passed away suddenly. After a thorough search by the Board of
Directors, Steve Lufburrow, who was a certified and trained Goodwill executive,
was named President & CEO.
Under Steve’s leadership, Goodwill Houston continued expanding not only
its number of stores and donation centers, but the programs offered and the
people it could serve.
Today, Goodwill Houston proudly operates in eight Texas counties with over
100 locations. Though the needs of the community have changed, Goodwill
Houston’s commitment to serving individuals with barriers to employment and
giving them the opportunity to thrive has not.