2019 LDWF Commercial Fishing Regs - Page 15

You must mark your traps with a plastic bait box cover or a 2-inch stainless steel, self-locking tag attached to the center of
the trap ceiling to identify the owner of the trap. Either one must be legibly engraved or embossed with your Commercial
Fisherman License number.
Floats and
Float Lines
• You must mark all crab traps with a solid float, 6 inches in diameter or larger, attached with a non-floating line, 1/4 inches
in diameter or larger. You do not have to mark traps with a float and line in areas designated as freshwater north of the
northern bank of the Intracoastal Waterway and west of LA Highway 70 and those areas located on the eastern side of
the Mississippi River and inland from the saltwater line, unless you’re placing the trap in a lake.
• You may attach crab traps to a trotline attached to a non-floating line and a visible float measuring at least 6 inches in
diameter or 1/2 gallon in volume. You must register each trap on a trotline with LDWF and tag it with your Commercial
Fisherman License number.
Escape Rings
• Each crab trap must have a minimum of three escape rings to allow undersized crabs to escape the trap. They must be
placed on the vertical outside walls flush with the trap floor or baffle. There must be at least two rings located in the
upper chamber of the trap (NOTE: Escape rings on the floor must be flush with the floor and escape rings in the upper
chamber must be flush with the baffle). Single chambered traps must have three rings placed on the vertical outside walls
flush with the trap floor. Rings must be rigid, 2-3/8 inches in inside diameter or larger (not including the ring material) and
attached to the trap with material of smaller diameter than the wire strands of the trap. Escape rings are not required on
any crab trap constructed of square wire mesh 2-5/16 inches or larger.
• No material should obstruct the escape rings and hamper or prevent crabs from exiting, except from April 1 - June 30 and
Sept. 1 - Oct. 31.
Metal Tackle
and Traps
You may not use metal tackle or metal crab traps in any of the public waters north of the Intracoastal Waterway in the
Calcasieu River, in any body of water of the Calcasieu River System north of the Intracoastal Canal, or in Vermilion Bay from
Cypremort Point one mile offshore to Blue Point.
Closed Area
You may not use crab traps in the Tchefuncte River.
WMAs & Refuges
Commercial fishing is permitted in:
• Atchafalaya Delta, except in the Limited Access Areas from
September to January each year.
• Pass-a-Loutre, except in the Limited Access Areas from September
to January each year.
• Pointe-aux-Chenes (in the Cut Off Canal and Wonder Lake);
nighttime fishing is prohibited.
Commercial fishing is prohibited in:
• Elmer’s Island
• Isle Derniers Barrier Island
• Rockefeller, State and Marsh Island
• Salvador
Derelict Crab Traps
Derelict crab traps are traps that have been discarded, lost or
abandoned. Derelict crab traps can “ghost fish” and continue to capture
blue crabs and other species. They can also create a navigational
hazard for boats and become entangled in other fishing gear such as
shrimp nets.
Funded in part by the sale of Louisiana crab fishing licenses, a
volunteer-based Derelict Crab Trap Removal Program was initiated
in 2004 to remove derelict crab traps and reduce their potential
impacts. Every year, the Commission prohibits the use of crab traps in
certain areas for short periods of time to remove lost or abandoned
traps through this program. Any crab trap found in these areas of
the state when the Commission has prohibited their use shall be
considered abandoned and may be removed by persons authorized
by the Commission. Since the program began, volunteers have helped
remove more than 37,000 traps. The program also collects data on the
number and types of animals found in recovered traps. Go to www.wlf.
la.gov/fishing/derelict-crab-trap-removal for information on current
crab trap removal closures.
Additional Dealer Requirements
If you:
You must have a/an: Fees and notes:
Are a licensed wholesale/retail seafood dealer Wholesale Out-ofexporting (or attempting to export) any crabs State Crab Shipping
or crabmeat outside of Louisiana
$100 for residents and nonresidents
Are a licensed retail seafood dealer exporting
(or attempting to export) any crabs or
crabmeat outside of Louisiana
Retail Out-of-State
Crab Shipping
$100 for residents and nonresidents
Own or operate a soft shell crab shedding
Seafood Dealer
$250 resident, $1,105 nonresident. On or before the 10th of every
month, you must report to LDWF how much soft shell crab you
produce. Go to www.wlf.la.gov/fishing/trip-ticket or call 225.765.2399
for more details.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen