2019 LDWF Commercial Fishing Regs - Page 24

Wire Net
• License fee: $25 resident, $100 nonresident (any legal number)
• Net mesh must be at least 1 inch square or 2 inches stretched; wire mesh must be 5 inches or larger to support
the webbing.
Bandit Gear
You may not use bandit gear in state saltwater areas.
You may not use longlines in state saltwater areas.
Saltwater Gill Net,
Seines, Strike Nets
and Trammel Nets
• You must have an LDWF-issued Traversing Permit (no fee) to transport gill nets, seines, strike nets and trammel
nets across state waters to use in federal waters. You may not use these gears in state saltwater areas (unless you
have a special permit to use strike nets).
• You may not possess red drum or spotted seatrout on vessels carrying these gears.
• You must notify LDWF at 800.442.2511 or 225.765.2441 four hours before you leave port to traverse or fish under
the conditions of the Traversing Permit and immediately when you return from the permitted trip.
Contact: Jason Adriance, 504.284.2032, jadriance@wlf.la.gov
Additional Dealer Licenses & Permits
In addition to the applicable licenses and permits listed on pages 5-6, you must have the following permits to participate in the following activities.
If you:
You must have a/an:
Fees and notes:
Dealer receiving reef fish, mackerel or cobia
harvested from federal waters
NOAA Fisheries Gulf and South Atlantic Dealer
Dealer receiving, buying, trading or bartering
Atlantic swordfish
NOAA Fisheries Atlantic Swordfish Dealer Permit
Dealer receiving Atlantic shark species
NOAA Fisheries Atlantic Shark Dealer Permit
You must also have a Gulf IFQ
Dealer Endorsement if you’re
receiving red snapper, groupers
or tilefish (unless the commercial
fisherman has one).
Commercial fisherman with an Gulf IFQ allocation
selling red snapper, groupers or tilefish to a dealer
without a Gulf IFQ Dealer Endorsement
NOAA Fisheries Gulf IFQ Dealer Endorsement
For details, contact NOAA
Fisheries Southeast Regional
Office at 877.376.4877.
Prohibited Gear
You may not use any of the following types of gear in state saltwater areas:
• Spears (except for flounder and garfish)
• Stupefying substances or devices
• Guns
• Poisons
• Explosives
• Tree-topping devices
• Electric shocking instruments or devices
• Seines (unless you are harvesting menhaden and/or herring-like

Snagging devices (not including bows and arrows; exceptions:
garfish taken by spears)
Longlines (not the same as trotlines-longlines are longer than 440
yards; allowed in federal waters)
Gill nets (unless you have a special permit to use strike nets to
harvest mullet or pompano)
Bandit gear (allowed in federal waters)
Elevated trotlines (except in exempt areas)
Trammel nets
You may not use any aircraft including fixed-wing aircraft, dirigibles,
balloons, helicopters or any other form of aerial surveillance to assist
in harvesting finfish, except menhaden and herring-like fish.
Area Restrictions
Free Fish Passage: Do not set gear within 500 feet of the mouth of any
inlet or pass or within 500 feet of any water control structures. This
ensures fish can pass freely through these areas.
WMAs and Refuges: Commercial fishing is permitted in:

Atchafalaya Delta, except in the Limited Access Areas from
September to January each year.
Pass-a-Loutre, except in the Limited Access Areas from September
to January each year. Commercial mullet fishing is only permitted
in: South Pass, Pass-a-Loutre, North Pass, Southeast Pass,
Northeast Pass, Dennis Pass, Johnson Pass, Loomis Pass, Cadro

Pass, Wright Pass, Viveats Pass, Cognevich Pass, Blind Bay, Redfish
Bay, Garden Island Bay, Northshore Bay, East Bay (west of Barrier
Islands), and oil and gas canals as described on LDWF’s Pass-aLoutre WMA map.
Pointe-aux-Chenes (in the Cut Off Canal and Wonder Lake);
nighttime fishing is prohibited.
Commercial fishing is prohibited in:

Elmer’s Island.
Isle Derniers Barrier Island.
Rockefeller, State and Marsh Island.


Powered by

Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book viewer
Download as PDF
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen