New Believers Bible - Flipbook - Page 96
foundational truths of the faith
who is God?
Thousands of years ago, Pharaoh, the Egyptian ruler, posed a question people
are still asking today: “Who is the LORD that I should listen to him?” That’s a
good question, but it is not an easy subject to tackle. It is difficult for our limited
minds to grasp the limitless, eternal God. It has been said, “If God were small
enough for your minds, he wouldn’t be big enough for your needs.” For that
reason, don’t be exasperated if you can’t fully understand who God is or why he
does certain things. One day, Scripture promises, everything about God and his
character will be made perfectly clear to us (1 Corinthians 13:12). But until
then, we will find everything we need to know about him in his Word. Look up
the following notes and passages to find out who God is.
1. God Is All-Knowing, Ever-Present, and All-Powerful. The Creator of
the Universe knows every intimate detail of his creation (see Psalm 139:1-24,
2. God Is Holy. God’s incomparable holiness merits our worship (see Isaiah
6:1-8, page 592).
3. God Is Loving and Just. God’s justice is tempered by his love (see 2 Peter
3:3-9, page 1138).
4. God Is Personal. This characteristic of God sets him apart from the
so-called “gods” of other religions (see Acts 17:22-33, page 992).
5. God Is in Control. It is important to remember that God is still in control,
even if things around us seem to be in chaos (see Habakkuk 3:2-19, page
6. The God of the Bible Is the One True God. While some insist on the
existence of many gods, only the God of the Bible is the true, living God,
worthy of our devotion (see Isaiah 45:9-23, page 624).