New Believers Bible - Flipbook - Page 99
The Bible clearly shows us just how active and conniving the devil really is.
At the same time, Scripture also lets us know about the devil’s limitations and
ultimate demise. The more we understand the tactics of this intelligent spirit
being, the better equipped we will be to ward off his attacks. Below are some key
passages of Scripture that answer some of the most commonly asked questions
about the devil—who is also referred to as Satan.
1. Where Did Satan Come From? Satan’s pride led to his fall from heaven
(see Ezekiel 28:12-19, page 736).
2. What Are Satan’s Abilities? Satan does have the power and access to do
certain things in this world (see 2 Corinthians 4:3-4, page 1048).
3. What Are Satan’s Limitations? While we should not underestimate
Satan’s power, we should realize that it is limited (see Job 1:1–2:10, page
4. How Does Satan Attack People? Satan masterfully uses manipulation
and distortion to deceive people (see Genesis 3:1-7, page 6).
5. Who Can Thwart Satan’s Agenda? Those who lay down their lives for
Christ will defeat this evil foe (see Revelation 12:10-12, page 1164).
According to recent surveys, most people believe in the existence of angels. A
glut of books on the subject fills bookstore shelves. Still, our only reliable source
on angels and their activity is the Bible. Just who are these mysterious creatures?
What do they look like? Do they wear long, flowing robes and have large birdlike
wings? And what is their purpose?
You might call angels “God’s secret agents.” They basically work undercover.
Most of the time these secret agents remain invisible—except on those special
occasions when God allows people to see them. No doubt God realized that if
we were allowed to see them all of the time, they would become an object of our
worship, which is to be reserved for God alone. Let’s take some time to see what
the Bible has to say about angels and their role in this world.
1. Why Did God Create Angels? God created angels as unique spiritual
beings who worship Christ and care for his followers (see Hebrews 1:4-14,
2. What Do Angels Do in the Life of a Christian? God has ordered the
angels to protect his followers and keep them from harm (see Psalm 91:1-16,