whc rhs 2019 catalog final web - Page 74



STUART RANCHES
Waurika, Oklahoma
Owner/Contact
(580) 228-3272
In 1868, Robert Clay Freeny left Boggy Depot, Indian Territory
to settle on the “Redlands” on what is today the Atoka/Bryan
county line, north & east of Caddo, Oklahoma. This country
would become the future headquarters for the Stuart Ranch,
which has now grown into a diversified operation, spanning
across four counties. The headquarters today is in Jefferson
County, near Waurika Oklahoma. Robert Clay registered one
of the first brands in the Choctaw Nation; today cattle are
branded with a 7S on the left hip & the horses branded with an
S on their left shoulder. The ranch operates a commercial cow
herd comprised of Hereford & Black Baldys. In 1949, Bob Stuart
upgraded the horses with the purchase of BIG SHOT DUN from
the Waggoner Ranch. SON O LEO & PORT COMMAND crossed
back on the BIG SHOT DUN & BREEZY BUCK mares laid a solid
foundation for the broodmare band. Today the ranch maintains
around 30 mares of which all have proven themselves on the
ranch and/or in the show pen with the majority being producers
& performers. The ranch strives to produce versatile horses with
eye appeal, good structure, conformation & agility. Stuart Ranch
has produced numerous World Champions, superior event horses,
NRCHA, NCHA & RHAA money earners, national high point titles
& the 1995 Superhorse, GENUINE REDBUD. In 2014, MISS T
STUART (1961) was inducted into the AQHA Hall of Fame. In 1995
the ranch won the Best Remuda Award, and now participates in
the Ranching Heritage Breeders program, winning the Heritage
Challenge twice.
SWENSON LAND & CATTLE CO.
Throckmorton, Texas
Mark Voss
(325) 338-9466
In 1854, Svante Magnus Swenson, a Swedish merchant & banker, bought
Texas acreage. He gave his sons, E.P. & S.A. Swenson, the land to develop
& as a result, the Swenson Brothers ranch was born. The brothers
purchased additional land & by the early 1900’s, ranch operations
comprised almost 500,000 acres in four separate units, referred to as:
Flat Top, Throckmorton, Tongue River & Spur Ranches. The last two have
been sold. The enterprise was incorporated under the name Swenson
Land & Cattle Co., Inc. in 1926. Today’s SMS is owned by the Bruce &
Parry Swenson families, great-great grandsons of S.M. Swenson. The
ranch today consists of Flat Top and Throckmorton Ranches.
74
74





Powered by


Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flipbook viewer
Search
Overview
Download as PDF
Print
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen